H.H. Holmes to be exhumed
Jeff Mudgett, great-grandson of H.H. Holmes, has been granted a petition to exhume the remains for the purpose of DNA testing. This will confirm if Holmes was indeed hanged or as some have speculated, that he was able to get someone else to swing in his place while he made a grand escape.
If you recall, Holmes spent a great deal of time writing that his features were changing, that his face was longer and taking on the appearance of the devil. This might have been to enhance his sinister reputation, while others believe it was part of his ruse to slip another body into his place. Further, the massive amount of concrete used to seal away his body not only prevented would-be grave robbing, but prevented any further identification of his remains.
Jeff has also stated he believes Holmes was in London at the times of the Ripper murders and has put forth the idea that Jack the Ripper and H.H. Holmes are one in the same. It goes against the grain, but Jeff has some interesting theories and evidence. Further, that idea makes more sense than some of the other suspects.
Who knows where this will lead, but it’s extremely intriguing.
Other Articles of Interest:
- Dr. H. H. Holmes and The Whitechapel Ripper – A Review
- Bloodstains – Jeff Mudgett
- Jack the Ripper ‘was invented to win newspaper war’
- Bloodstains – The Analysis
- Haunted History Season 1, Ep. 3 "Murder Castle"
- Aaron Kosminski Named as Jack the Ripper Through DNA Evidence
- The Murder Hotel of H. H. Holmes
- Whitechapel Series 1
- Killer Contact – Jack the Ripper – S01E01
- The Dark Life of H.H. Holmes